Sunday 13 June 2010

Some Call Me Gareth, But You Can Call Me Inspector Goole

its time for some big news!!! A couple of times I have mentioned this new and exciting project which I am involved in, but I have never quite got round to telling you all about it. I haven't deliberately been putting it off, but I felt it warranted a blog to itself rather than a swift mention in passing. But it was finding a fitting moment to write the blog thats taken all this time.

For the last year or so I have had my heart set on being in a show, nothing huge... but I wanted all my hard work to progress to something more than another class. I am now part of "The Black Fox Theatre Society". Now there are lots of differences about this group when compared to other drama societies, and in due course I will tell you all about them, but for now I don't want to drift off topic too much. This is partly because it is 1:20 in the morning, and I am sure there are better things that I could be doing than writing my blog right now... but then again who needs sleep anyway?

Well... the next Black Fox production will be their interpretation of An Inspector Calls, a J.B Priestly classic that I am sure many of you have heard of. The West End production of this play closed earlier this year, and I must say although very abstract, it was rather good. The irony is I can remember studying this play at school and not particually enjoying it! But tastes change with maturity,and I have grown rather fond of this little play. Though thinking back to my school days if truth be known before taking on the role in this play, I hadn't read the script in full. It wasn't rare for me to just read notes in English rather than the full book. I got two B's in my GCSE's which for someone who hadn't read any of the GCSE texts in full, I feel is quite an achievement! My approach to studying was always questionable but somehow I always managed to get the results I needed... a bit lucky maybe, but its a technique that has never failed me.

This meant that I would be reading the script in full for the first time in preparation for this play, in which I have the role of Inspector Goole. I guess in some senses this is the lead role, though by my estimations Mr Birling has equal if not more stage time though maybe not as much importance, at least in the audiences eye anyway... oh, I don't know... what I do know is it is all rather exciting and what a challenge for my first show eh?

We are in the early stages of rehearsals, having just completed our first read through's. I would say so far so good. We have a fabulous cast and I think everyone fits their roles so perfectly. Obviously there is a lot of work still to do, but I can see the team we have really gelling.

Now the inspector is a mysterious kind of character, which you would expect. However his mood and personality is also ever altering. This has made it a real challenge for me to get my teeth into. I am not going to be too revealing at this stage, as if there is anybody reading this who would like to see the show, I wouldn't want to give too much away. All I will say is that we have a slightly different take on the entire play in comparison to the West End performance, we just have to hope it goes down well!

The production will be played out in the autumn, provisional dates are set as is a provisional venue, and no doubt when things are confirmed, I will mention it in a blog on here. At the moment though our emphasis has been on fund raising... its not easy for a small drama group to put on a show. The costs involved are huge. So far we have had many donations from lovely members of the public. Mostly friends and family of cast members, but we still have a long way to go. So if anybody reading this would like to support our drama society, then please do let me know... e-mail me or something (gareth.varndell@googlemail.com) - any support is appreciated, big or small it all makes a huge difference to all the budding actors involved.

And on that little appeal I will call it a day - 1:44am... finished this blog much sooner than I would have hoped! So good night one and all!

G xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment